I always wish my hair were one solid color that I could proudly claim, and not have people question or secretly disagree with me. Joshua's suggested I dye it. I've always thought that seemed like a hassle. When it grows out and your roots start to show, you can do one of two things: 1) continue to let it grow out and have your hair look stupid while looking a little bit like white trash, or 2) pay a bunch of money to dye it again, and do this for the rest of your life. Neither of those options sound enticing to me. People told me I could just do a light brown so that you couldn't tell when it was growing out so I wouldn't have to do it again, but I didn't see any point in that. Why bother dying your hair if nobody can tell? I guess it would have given me a name for my hair color though.
Whenever Joshua and I talked about dying my hair, I'd flat out tell him no. But after a while I started toying with the idea in my mind. It was probably in August that I decided I wanted to try it. I told our friend Skyla, and she was going to do it for me. I procrastinate just about everything though, and we didn't get around to doing it.
At the beginning of October I went to the beauty school to get my hair cut by the girl, Natalie, who always did a fabulous job on Joshua's hair. He'd mentioned to her that I was considering dying my hair. (He had no idea I'd actually decided to do it.) She loved my "super healthy virgin hair." She told me about all the different kinds of things we could do with my hair. They have some line of stuff to color hair that can only be done on incredibly healthy hair, and somehow it's better for your hair than normal dye. It was primarily to make your hair lighter. There was no way I wanted to do that since I hate being called blond. Then she told me about this other stuff they have which fades out. We looked at the colors, and in the excitement (she was really excited about it and I was in love with my new hair cut) I set up an appointment for her to do it the next week.
Joshua wasn't supposed to be home when I left for my hair appointment, so I thought I could do it as a total surprise. Turns out he was home as I was trying to hurry out the door. He kept trying to get me to watch some YouTube video, and couldn't understand why I was in such a hurry that I kept telling him no. After all, the video was probably only a minute long. To get out the door I finally had to tell him I was going to get something that was a surprise for both of us. He asked if he had to dress up for it, so I have no idea what he thought it might be. That made me feel better since he clearly had no clue what I was going to do.
Wow...this is turning into a really long story. Here's a short part: I went and got my hair done.

I love it!! Natalie is awesome. She did a great job! I ended up doing it lighter than we'd initially decided on but that was alright. You can get it done so it fades after one month or two months, and I was pretty sure I'd like it and doing it for the two would be safe. I was right. I guess the moral of this story is that I did something adventurous, but not that adventurous. I am still too chicken to permanently dye my hair. I a little bit wish I'd just been born with darker brown hair. I think I'll do it again. It's not quite faded out all the way yet, but I've loved every shade of brown that it's been as it's faded. Plus, you can't see my roots. :)
Joshua just stared at me for a good minute when I walked in the door. Later he said that he wasn't rationally thinking to himself that I'd dyed me hair. He knew what was different, but somehow it still wasn't registering and he wasn't sure what he was looking at. It was priceless. My surprise worked! He jumped up and was really excited, but then kind of concerned I'd done it for him. It was cute. I assured him that I loved it, and then we were both happy. I'd kept telling him no, even after I decided, so that it would be a surprise, but I think it was also for me. I'm stubborn sometimes. I wanted to know that I was doing it because I wanted to, and not just because Joshua thought it would be fun.
I was excited and loving my hair so I let Joshua take
a bunch of pictures of me that night.
I felt silly after a while.
a bunch of pictures of me that night.
I felt silly after a while.


No comments:
Post a Comment